Old 18-07-2010, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan Kate Morgan is offline

Default Getting rid of Leylandii

I'm purchasing a house with 5 or 6 reasonable sized (I'd guess around 20
feet tall) leylandi trees at the back and not being a big fan I am quite
keen to get rid of them. How problematic is this likely to be and what
sort of ballpark damage to the the wallet is this likely to cause (I'm in
the East Midlands if it helps)? Any tips or advice for getting them out?

Whilst I really don't like the look of them nor like the excessive
shading they give to the garden I do appreciate the extra privacy they
give. Any suggestions as to what I could replace them with that would
grow reasonably tall without a massive spread? I thought maybe some
bamboo or is that totally potty?

Thanks for any advice.

Before you remove them make sure they aren't acting as a windbreak. If
they are, then it's quite likely you can grow things now that you won't be
able to once they have gone.

--

Jeff

I agree with Jeff, we have a row of leylandi trees - much much bigger than
20ft - up one side of a paddock and it is so much warmer and sheltered
there than anywhere else on the property. Do think about it.

kate