Old 18-07-2010, 04:33 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennyconny View Post
Hi All,
Our decorative wooden fence made of posts driven into the soil has rotted. We are digging it out (or my husband is!) while I type. There are tons of very white root-like strands running into the roots of shrubs and threading their way everywhere. I assume it is a fungus of some sort but is it dangerous? Do we have to get it out of everything? Is the soil contaminated?
Or maybe the plants can live with it once the rotten wood has been taken away. Hope so!
In hope of enlightenment,
Penny
PS. Research says it might be called 'Mine Fungus'
Most fungi are fairly specific - ie one that feeds on rotten wood tends not to feed on live wood. Fungi are everywhere, as are their spores. You would not be able to eradicate all the fungi in your garden.