Old 18-07-2010, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

Default Getting rid of Leylandii

On Jul 17, 11:38*pm, "Endulini" wrote:
Hi,

I'm purchasing a house with 5 or 6 reasonable sized (I'd guess around 20
feet tall) leylandi trees at the back and not being a big fan I am quite
keen to get rid of them. How problematic is this likely to be and what sort
of ballpark damage to the the wallet is this likely to cause (I'm in the
East Midlands if it helps)? Any tips or advice for getting them out?

Whilst I really don't like the look of them nor like the excessive shading
they give to the garden I do appreciate the extra privacy they give. Any
suggestions as to what I could replace them with that would grow reasonably
tall without a massive spread? I thought maybe some bamboo or is that
totally potty?

Thanks for any advice.

If you've any kind of substantial anchorage like a bigger tree nearby
you can remove that size leylandii with a 'tirfor'* winch (you need
one that will pull about 3 tonnes and stong arms or a hefty assistant)
Just get the cable well up the tree to provide leverage but not so
high that the trunk can bend or break under the tension. Attach the
winch at ground level to a suitable anchor and heave away - they
usually come up roots and all.
Just be sure that there's room for the tree to fall where you want it
and that the heaving roots aren't going to lift the patio or anything
else.
You'll have a lot of rubbish to dispose of - that's a lot of sawing
and a big bonfire or hire a suitable chipper - not a toy but one like
the tree surgeons use (some contractors plant hire firms have them)
*That's a brand but it's become a generic name like Hoover

Rod