Old 18-07-2010, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
rbel rbel is offline

Default Bird tables

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 15:45:25 +0200, Phil Bradby wrote:

Hi

I know it's a bit early to be thinking about winter, but for a while now
I've been planning on getting a bird table this year. I hadn't really
thought there could be much of a down-side to this until I was chatting
to a friend about it recently. She said that in her experience the birds
will scatter seed on the ground which attracts rats and mice. Plus the
amount of bird muck will be phenomenal.

Are these really going to be a big problem? I mean, lots of people keep
bird tables despite these issues... Plus there are a few cats in the
neighbourhood which I don't imagine will let a rat colony flourish.

Does the type of seed you put down make a difference? Or whether the
table is on paving or a lawn? Thanks for any thoughts.

We have had seed, nut and fat cake feeders, all mounted on a single pole
support to one side of our back lawn and quite near trees and shrubs, for
some years. Positioning the feeders is quite important. We get 14 or
more species visit virtually every day. There is seed spillage but most
of it gets mopped up by the ground feeding birds - what does get left
behind is the seed husks which disappears when I mow the lawn (in winter I
occasionally sweep the area with a stiff yard broom). We have not seen a
rat in 15 years but from time to time we do see bank voles which are quite
entertaining. Droppings only become a problem in dry weather and then a
spray of water soon deals with it.

We buy peanuts and seed (good quality mixed and sunflower) from our local
agricultural merchants in 20/25 kg sacks or occasionally Pets at home when
they have them at good prices. These go in 'Droll Yankee' feeders
(readily available online) and are supplemented by fat cakes in metal cage
containers.

--
rbel