Old 18-07-2010, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jill Bell[_3_] Jill Bell[_3_] is offline

Default Bird tables

On 18/07/2010 14:45, Phil Bradby wrote:
Hi

I know it's a bit early to be thinking about winter, but for a while now
I've been planning on getting a bird table this year. I hadn't really
thought there could be much of a down-side to this until I was chatting
to a friend about it recently. She said that in her experience the birds
will scatter seed on the ground which attracts rats and mice. Plus the
amount of bird muck will be phenomenal.

Are these really going to be a big problem? I mean, lots of people keep
bird tables despite these issues... Plus there are a few cats in the
neighbourhood which I don't imagine will let a rat colony flourish.

Does the type of seed you put down make a difference? Or whether the
table is on paving or a lawn? Thanks for any thoughts.

PB

I'm just watching some bird sown sunflowers coming into bloom in my
garden, having pulled out all the wheat and barley that they also
managed to sow from the feeder.

In terms of mess - I never found it to be a problem. A quick hose down
on a hard surface, and regular moving of the table on a lawn soon sorts
that out. Yes, I suppose if you're really paranoid, there may be a
slight risk of infection, but the pleasure all the birds bring is well
worth the risk.

And yes - one day a friend called round and her eyes when very wide when
she spotted a large, plump, glossy and very happy rat grazing under the
table. One I could cope with, but when he decided to invite his friends
and relations to the party I decided to put poison down and that soon
sorted out the rat population.

My advice would be feed the birds and enjoy. Sadly I've had to give up
as my latest feline has a contract out on anything feathery that comes
close enough to catch. One feeder, high up in the cherry tree so I can
watch out of the upstairs office window while at the computer is all I'm
prepared to risk.

Jill