Old 18-07-2010, 10:54 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennyconny View Post
Hi Kay, Thanks. Do you think then that the fungi is not 'attacking' the roots of our shrubs?
I would have thought it highly improbable, though not necessarily totally impossible. Getting rid of it from the soil would be impractical.

Have you ever spread bark chippings between plants? If you have, have a look - you'll find the underneath chippings are covered with fine white stuff - again a fungus. Many plants are in a symbiotic relationship with fungi whereby the fungus helps the roots pick up nutrients in return for supplying food to the fungus. It's just not worth worrying about fungi - in most cases they're doing no harm, in any case there's not much you can do, and worry just takes a lot of the enjoyment out of the garden.