Old 19-07-2010, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Bird tables

On 18 July, 14:45, Phil Bradby wrote:
Hi

I know it's a bit early to be thinking about winter, but for a while now
I've been planning on getting a bird table this year. I hadn't really
thought there could be much of a down-side to this until I was chatting
to a friend about it recently. She said that in her experience the birds
will scatter seed on the ground which attracts rats and mice. Plus the
amount of bird muck will be phenomenal.

Are these really going to be a big problem? I mean, lots of people keep
bird tables despite these issues... Plus there are a few cats in the
neighbourhood which I don't imagine will let a rat colony flourish.

Does the type of seed you put down make a difference? Or whether the
table is on paving or a lawn? Thanks for any thoughts.

PB

Have a bird table with "sides " projecting op about 2cm. Leaving
drainage so water can run off. Don't put out too much food at once.
They will eat food off the ground if hungry.
Bird crap is not a problem, especially in Winter, It gets washed
away.
They like a bush near the table to lurk in. (Say 10ft away) They then
make forays from the bush & return.
What you don't want is food on the ground over night.
If you have a cat problem, make your own table with a 4" plastic drain
pipe, 6' high as the pole. Cats can't climb this.