Old 19-07-2010, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Okra

vicky wrote
Anyone any experience of growing okra? I planted it kind of at random, as
it was lying around and I'd never grown it before. Never tasted it
either,
actually.

I currently have 2 plants (I think I sold some at the summer fete) in the
greenhouse, still in quite small pots - both about 6" tall atm, but one
has
a bud that may be a flower but looking again today looks more like it may
be
a new leaf bud.

So ... what shall I do with them now?

I hate to say it but compost them is my suggestion. Loving Okra as we do (
done Indian style) I tried growing a bed of it years ago in a hot summer and
they still didn't grow, got a couple of fruit but you need a lot more than
that for a meal and they were not nice anyway, too old. It's just not hot
enough or bright enough in the UK from what I saw, the plants just sulk
here.
Out where it's grown it can be quite a tall plant, I've seen pickers
disappear in the field it was so tall.
As Nick says, nice flowers.

--
Regards