Old 19-07-2010, 09:50 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Name View Post
Anyone any experience of growing okra? I planted it kind of at random, as
it was lying around and I'd never grown it before. Never tasted it either,
actually.
You may have had it as "bhindi" at an Indian restaurant

Quote:

I currently have 2 plants (I think I sold some at the summer fete) in the
greenhouse, still in quite small pots - both about 6" tall atm, but one has
a bud that may be a flower but looking again today looks more like it may be
a new leaf bud.

So ... what shall I do with them now?

--
Keep the warm, plenty of water, feed with tomato feed. They're at the less hardy end of things that we grow in the greenhouse - in a spectrum going from tomatoes, chillis, cucumbers, sweet peppers, aubergines,, they're beyond aubergines. But on the plus side, you don't need to ripen them - indeed, you should pick them young and small because if you leave them too long they go stringy.

I've grown them before on a sunny widowsill. I'm now trying again after many years gap, in a greenhouse. My plants are about 9-12 inches tall, not flowering yet, but there's a long while to go before the end of summer.

To be on the safe side,, I'd consider hand pollination should you be lucky enough to get two flowers out at the same time ;-)