Old 19-07-2010, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Okra

Bob Hobden wrote:
So ... what shall I do with them now?

I hate to say it but compost them is my suggestion. Loving Okra as we do (
done Indian style) I tried growing a bed of it years ago in a hot summer and
they still didn't grow, got a couple of fruit but you need a lot more than
that for a meal and they were not nice anyway, too old. It's just not hot
enough or bright enough in the UK from what I saw, the plants just sulk
here.
Out where it's grown it can be quite a tall plant, I've seen pickers
disappear in the field it was so tall.
As Nick says, nice flowers.

Heh. I'll not hold any hope out for them, then. But mostly I'm growing
them for the fun of growing something new, not to get a crop particularly.
It's like the melon plants I grew last year - I think we had 6 or 7 plants,
and we got 2.5 melons in total. They were lovely, actually, but the effort
vs produce ratio!