Old 19-07-2010, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Getting rid of Leylandii

In article ,
says...
Hi,

I'm purchasing a house with 5 or 6 reasonable sized (I'd guess around 20
feet tall) leylandi trees at the back and not being a big fan I am quite
keen to get rid of them. How problematic is this likely to be and what sort
of ballpark damage to the the wallet is this likely to cause (I'm in the
East Midlands if it helps)? Any tips or advice for getting them out?

Whilst I really don't like the look of them nor like the excessive shading
they give to the garden I do appreciate the extra privacy they give. Any
suggestions as to what I could replace them with that would grow reasonably
tall without a massive spread? I thought maybe some bamboo or is that
totally potty?

Thanks for any advice.

As you probably allready know its not an option to reduce the size as any
brown bits will never regrow, but it is easy enough to get rid of
them yourself. first cut off all the branches a bow saw or pruning saw
are quite sufficiant then cut the poles about 6' above the ground. you
now have 2 choices, 1 leave the poles in situ and grow things up them or
2 dig around each one and using the 6' stump you left as a lever rock it
out of the ground cutting roots as you go, hard work but not difficult.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk