Old 19-07-2010, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Okra

kay wrote:
Anyone any experience of growing okra? I planted it kind of at random,
as it was lying around and I'd never grown it before. Never tasted it
either, actually.

You may have had it as "bhindi" at an Indian restaurant

I haven't. I don't like Indian food, and have never been to an Indian
restaurant, except for one time walking through Rusholme one night after a
few beers and desperately needing the toilet.

So ... what shall I do with them now?

Keep the warm, plenty of water, feed with tomato feed.

Which reminds me, really behind on feeding the tomatoes this year!

They're at the
less hardy end of things that we grow in the greenhouse - in a spectrum
going from tomatoes, chillis, cucumbers, sweet peppers, aubergines,,
they're beyond aubergines. But on the plus side, you don't need to ripen
them - indeed, you should pick them young and small because if you leave
them too long they go stringy.

ok. We had a lot of success with aubergines last year, so I'm thinking the
greenhouse should work fine.

I've grown them before on a sunny widowsill. I'm now trying again after
many years gap, in a greenhouse. My plants are about 9-12 inches tall,
not flowering yet, but there's a long while to go before the end of
summer.

To be on the safe side,, I'd consider hand pollination should you be
lucky enough to get two flowers out at the same time ;-)

Will do. Thank you. :-)