Old 19-07-2010, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PtePike[_3_] PtePike[_3_] is offline

Default Yet another "get rid of snails" question

David in Normandy wrote in
r:

On 19/07/2010 14:49, PtePike wrote:
wrote in

Is there a humane way of doing this? Some sort of trap so the live
snails can be emptied a long way away?

My plants are being mutilated every night, I'm managing to catch the
ones still there during the day (one planter had 14 baby snails in
it!) but I reckon there's a battalion of them that come out after
dark.

I really don't want to kill or hurt them so if I can "relocate" them
I'd be happy. Failing that, is there some sort of contraption to put
my pots and things on that they can't climb?

I will tell you what I found by accident, but it would not work for
all things, or on an allotment.
Sick of weeding I laid some old carpet in a brassica bed I was going
to plant, then cut some holes in the carpet to plant my young plants,
then after I planted the things I used some more carpet to use as
collars to keep away cabbage root fly.
Not one slug or snail or weed has been seen!
Helps keep in moisture too and it allows water to penetrate.
Maybe (surely) there are slugs underneath, but I have some very
healthy caulli, cabbage, broccoli etc.
I know there must be a reason for not doing this and that it is not
being used but my results are wonderful atm.
Seems the beasts cannot crawl over a rough surface.
I do not have enough old carpet for my allotment though.

Give me your used carpet.
PtePike

So you got rid of slugs and snails by carpet bombing them. ;-)

My son who is 8 predicted these silly creepy-like jokey-like carpet jokes.