Old 19-07-2010, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bobharvey bobharvey is offline

Default Getting rid of Leylandii

On 19 July, 13:34, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
first cut off all the branches a bow saw or pruning saw
are quite sufficiant then cut the poles about 6' above the ground. you
now have 2 choices, 1 leave the poles in situ and grow things up them or
2 dig around each one and using the 6' stump you left as a lever rock it
out of the ground cutting roots as you go, hard work but not difficult.

That's what I did when we moved in here. I even used my (then new)
Sunbeam Talbot as a tractor to pull them over with a rope round the
top. I used one of those 14lb sledgehammer-style axes to cut through
the roots very quickly. Roughly half of them had a conventional root
spread, and the other half had a massive tap root going straight down,
hence the need for the rootes wreck as a tractor.