Old 19-07-2010, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Flying ants everywhere for a while....

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 21:39:23 +0100, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

South Coast, bit of a swarm of flying ants at around 7pm, mating all
over the place, first ones I've seen this year.

Not here, ah probably because we don't have any ants... B-)

Stayed around for about an hour and then disappeared, gone somewhere far
away I hope.

I think the males will have died after finding queen. The queens
after mating will have flown to the ground, shed their wings and
crawled away to start a new nest. I doubt they travel all that far.

Same problem in London, apparently:

Have they worked out how ants synchronise this mating flight across
so many nest and huge areas?

--
Cheers
Dave.