Old 19-07-2010, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Flying ants everywhere for a while....

In article 6K21o.437205$_m6.262711@hurricane,
says...

South Coast, bit of a swarm of flying ants at around 7pm, mating all over
the place, first ones I've seen this year. Stayed around for about an hour
and then disappeared, gone somewhere far away I hope.

Same problem in London, apparently:

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/835511-f...-plague-london

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...g-ants-twitter

Not here;-) I have a big colony of ants living in a dalek plastic
compost bin; obviously it's too dry but amazingly, they do a terrific
job of converting the contents to a fine brown humus. The bonus is a big
harvest of ants eggs on the top surface, which I take to feed my
goldfish.
The other day I opened the lid to fetch some ant eggs
and there were about 2 million flying ants inside, ready
for take-off.Rammed it back on quick. They don't have another exit and
today they're all dead.

Janet.