Old 19-07-2010, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone someone is offline

Default Flying ants everywhere for a while....

"Mentalguy2k8" wrote in message
South Coast, bit of a swarm of flying ants at around 7pm, mating all over
the place, first ones I've seen this year. Stayed around for about an hour
and then disappeared, gone somewhere far away I hope.

Same problem in London, apparently:

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/835511-f...-plague-london

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...g-ants-twitter

I recall this happening about this time of year when I was a kid about fifty
years ago in eastern Canada. I used to call it "Ant Day". All the large
fat females would drop to earth, shed their wings and go off and found new
colonies. As you say, thankfully they disappear shortly afterwards.

someone