Old 20-07-2010, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
Cheryl Isaak Cheryl Isaak is offline

Default Discararded pot plants used as a pot filler?

On 7/18/10 11:43 AM, in article ,
"Wallace" wrote:

"john hamilton" wrote in message
When the local council have pulled out all the 'finished' plants they have
put out in flower beds, they throw them on a big unsightly heap in a
remote corner of the cemetery.

After a while it ends up being a very sandy type of compost. It doesnt
look like there is much loam in it.

Would this be good to throw into garden pots mixed with some additional
soil? I guess the dead plants would just rot down and add some nutrition
to the mix?

It also has a lot of small bits of chopped tree bark in it. Would this
tree bark help with moisture retention, or would it be a waste of time
from that point of view? Would I be better picking out the tree bark and
throwing it away? Thanks.

I would think that stuff would be ok. Why not experiment? Plant some with
it and some with an alternative, and see what results?

Honestly, I'd use it too - use it to lighten heavy soil or mix in with good
compost. Waste not, want not