Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
E. Mito

Default Starting over with an established planted aquarium

In article ,
) writes:

I'd remove the mulm with a gravel vacuum. I'd decant off most all of
the water and save the concentrate to add to the bottom layer of the
flourite/onyx sand.
I'd also add about about one handful of ground peat to this bottom
layer. Cap with the flourite etc.
You'll need nothing else for the substrate.

I'd save about 30-50% of the water and leave the filter parts in the
water or keep them moist and wet.

This is also a good time to remove any algae present.
Clean any equipment glass etc well.

Then look at the CO2 set up you have/or don't have and get the range
up to 20ppm-30ppm and keep it there. Change the DIY bottles more
often, like weekly, if you haven't been.

Add some hornwort or other cheap plants for the first week. Trim off
any algae from old plant leaves. The tanks should have no problem
settling in if you take care of the CO2 and nutrients.

Thank you, Tom!

I'm not quite clear on your suggestions, though:

Are you saying that the big gravel would be okay so long as I mix in some
Fluorite (and/or Onyx) and peat to it, and then top it off with pure Fluorite
or are you suggesting that I remove the big gravel altogether and replace it
with the fluorite/peat mix on the bottom with Fluorite only on top instead?

Also, are you recommending that I use both Fluorite and Onyx, or one or the
other?

Other than adding CO2, should I worry about adding any additional supplements?
I have plenty of Seachem Fluorish and root tabs...

I would tremendously appreciate if you would clarify these minor points for
me...When I am ready to do this I intend to follow your advice carefully.

Thanks again!!!

Erica
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/mitoem/mitoem/index.htm