Old 20-07-2010, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Greenhouse questions

Lordspudz wrote:
3 Can automatically opening vents be fitted to replace manual opening
ones without too much alteration?

We have automatic windows in one, and they are the bane of my life! They
don't close completely, so in the winter they cause a draft, and in the rain
they leak and we get puddles! And one time they got so upset they managed
to force the pane in one of the auto windows to break (presumably by
stressing the glass somehow - although I could be unfairly blaming it when
it was something dropped by a bird of something else causing it).
They annoy me!

4 Is it good practice to line the house with insulation such as bubble
wrap?

My neighbour uses bubble wrap in the winter to keep the frost out. We've
never got round to trying it out so far. She also whitewashes the glass
during the summer to stop things getting scorched.

The other bit of advise that you will probably get is to get the biggest
greenhouse you can sensibly fit. Don't try and scrimp by getting a smaller,
cheaper one, as you will regret it later. We wish we'd got a bigger one!
(but we made up for that by taking over our behind-neighbour's unused one as
well :-)