Old 20-07-2010, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christina Websell[_2_] Christina Websell[_2_] is offline

Default Enchanter's nightshade

Spider wrote:
On 15/07/2010 14:25, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Spider
writes
On 14/07/2010 14:31, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Spider
writes
It's a saxifrage relative, I believe.

It's a willow herb relative (Onagraceae). Hitting the literature I
find a claim that Fuchsia is its nearest relative, other than the
other species of Circaea. [Levin et al, American Journal of Botany
90(1): 107-115 (2003).

Spider

Blush :~)! Yes, you're quite right. I always thought the leaves were
more fuchsia-like than saxifrage, but having read/been told ages ago
that it was a saxifrage relative *and* detecting a saxifrage
likeness in the flower spike, I didn't question it. I should have,
shouldn't I? :~(. Thanks for the education.

If it makes you feel better it took me a few years to put a name to
enchanter's nightshade. It grows (among other places) on the edge of
a wood on the way to the entrance to one of the local parks, and I
know it was there, but I was baffled as to what it was.

Now I can recognise I've recorded from 16 localities.

Thanks, Stewart. That made me smile; ... still feel daft, though!

Never feel daft. In the words of my late grandmother "you're not born
knowing everything about everything and if you live as long as I have, you
still never will.."

Tina