Old 21-07-2010, 01:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

Default mushrooms in the lawn

PtePike wrote in
:
I am not one of those but if you have children knocking around the
lawn I feel safer knowing exactly what is in my garden and lawn.

In that case you are probably doomed to be perpetually worried.
If you're not worried then you don't understant what's in your
garden.

I presume you've uprooted all trees (in case they climb
them dangerously), removed potatoes and tomatoes (solanine),
locked up the power tools, secateurs, bowsaws, shears, ponds,
streams (drowning, frogs/toads). Oh, and don't forget to
remove the hallucinogens from the kitchen (nutmeg).

The list is endless, and trying to wrap them in cotton wool
is beguiling but is *more* dangerous in the long run.

Far better to teach them to understand what they don't know,
and to act appropriately cautiously.

For example I have a ring of fungi which sometimes grows at this time
of year and they are as a collective called "fairy rings"
Now these can be potentially fatal.

There are many fairy-ring fungi. Some are "edible and
delicious", some aren't.

http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/outdoor-
recreation/how/mushrooms/poisonous-mushrooms

That's so vague and non-comprehensive as to be useless.

I would rather be safe now than sorry later.

If you try too hard to be safe now then you will be sorry
later. Either the little darlings will completely reject
being mollycoddled, or will become fearful of the world,
or won't learn how to recognise potential dangers in a
contrained environment (and will learn then the very
hard way in the real world)