Old 21-07-2010, 05:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
EVP MAN EVP MAN is offline

Default Tomato performance update so far this year..........

My Jet Stars are ripening first and giving me my first vine ripened
fruit. Champion ll are setting about a dozen med. size fruit per plant.
Plants are well behaved and lend themselves well to staking. First
Prize are getting very nice sized fruit and about ten per plant.
Abraham Lincoln are growing large and kind of unruly to stake but they
are producing close to 30 med. size fruit per plant. All of the above
mentioned plants will be in my garden again next year. Most of my
heirlooms won't be. Kelloggs Breakfast only has two tomatoes. Pruden's
purple, about half a dozen per plant. Mortgage Lifter about a half
dozen fruit. Rutgers isn't doing too bad for a small (determinate)
plant with about a dozen med. size fruit. If a tomato plant doesn't
give me at least ten to twelve nice size tomatoes, I don't feel it's
worth the garden space. Along with my keepers, next season I will be
trying Lemon Boy, Better Boy, Big Beef, Super Fantastic and Gardeners
Delight as my cherry tomato. My small tomatoes this year were red and
yellow pear which are producing well but just not enough zing in the
flavor for my taste buds.

Rich from Central PA