Old 21-07-2010, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I don't want a solar panel

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:

I want a solar roof

so the top storey of my house becomes a roof

conservatory/greenhouse

You would have a major problem with the building regulations.

Good God, WHY? It's nothing terribly out of the ordinary.

The biggest snag would probably be the thermal insulation properties
and having to make the building meet current regulations on heat
loss. But I agree it shouldn't be that hard. What might be a problem
is getting rid of the heat in the middle of summer rather than
keeping heat loss down.

It's soluble. We did it in our south-facing conservatory.

This would be an incredibly expensive job to carry out too.

No more than putting any other kind of extra story on.

Large bits of glass are expensive, large double or triple glazed
units are very expensive.

True, but irrelevant. Build it out of medium-sized, double-glazed
K glass.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.