Old 22-07-2010, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I don't want a solar panel

In article ,
harry wrote:

I want a solar roof

so the top storey of my house becomes a roof conservatory/greenhouse

You would have a major problem with the building regulations.

Good God, WHY? =A0It's nothing terribly out of the ordinary.

It's very much out of the ordinary.

No, it's not. It's unusual for a domestic dwelling, but is a fairly
common commercial and industrial construction - not typically used
as a conservatory, of course.

This would be an incredibly expensive job to carry out too.

No more than putting any other kind of extra story on.

Minimum thermal insulation levels.

No problem. 3/4" gap K glass. Absolutely bog-standard nowadays.
We have it on our conservatory, and I can witness it works.

The roof would need to be removed and a completely different specially
manufactured structure put on. (Not just the tiles/slates but all the
timber work.)
Depending on the area, there might well be planning difficulties.
Possibly objections from neighbours too (if any)

As I said, no more than putting any other kind of extra story on.
It's no cheaper or easier, either.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.