Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Stuart Mueller

Default Non Aquatic Plants

I am slowly making the transition from plastic plants to real plants,
getting generally one plant a week!!

so far I have some bacopa, some elodea, and some straight and twisted
vallis. All is growing well, although I think I will need some more light
for the vallis!

This weekend I was after some sort of foreground plant, the LFS down the
road from me had some Nana in, but it was very expensive (£3 for one little
bit with about three leaves) So I went in search of some tenullus. my next
LFS had some - or it came in a tenulus, but it was really tall, I always
thought that tenullus kind of flopped over, but this was standing up
straight, the woman also said that it was a lot taller than what she has had
in before. So I decided to leave the tenullus for a bit, see if I can get it
from somewhere else.

What she did have was a different variety of small plant - it was labelled
as water hedge I think (or water something). it had lanceolate leafs, about
four on each side, one above each other, it seemed to grow from a few
bulbous roots and the leaf colour was a mid-green with a thin almost white
outline along the edge.

She advised me that it was not a true aquatic plant and so probably wouldn't
do well in my aquarium, but it was only £1 for three, so I figured, give
them a try! (When I got them home I'd actually got four - bonus).

I was wondering if there was anything I could do to improve my chances of
keeping these plants as now they are planted they look really beautiful?

Thanks

Stu