Old 23-07-2010, 03:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default French Beans - Blue Lake

anthony123hopki wrote:

Home growers are better off with a cultivar that flowers continuously
over a
long period so there is a steady harvest of beans. It is a while
since I
grew them but I think blue lake are in the latter category. The
cultivar
that I grew last summer produced continuously for seven months.

David

David

Thanks for that. What cultivar was that one you mentioned that
produced over the seven month period. I would be very interested to
know.

Anthony

It isn't a named variety (at least the vendor doesn't admit it is one). It
is sold by "Mrs Fothergills" and described as bush beans. I don't know if
they are international. You are not going to get seven months of production
unless your growing season between frosts is about nine months, you feed
them, and water and pick them regularly and keep them from baking in mid
summer..

David