Old 22-07-2010, 11:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening
Spamlet Spamlet is offline

Default This mosquito is good at hiding

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"john hamilton" wrote:

A mosquito has been in our bedroom for about a week, biting regularly at
night; when we are fast asleep, in the early hours. We have some
immovable
cupboards etc, that are ideal for it to hide behind.

Is there any way to entice it out, so we can deal with it?

You have a chance if you have light colored walls and ceiling, which
make them more visible when they land. But if your room is wood paneled
or darkly painted, you'll never find them. Fly paper near your head is
probably the best choice.
--
- Billy

Yep, I'll second that: the only bedroom wall for me is smooth and painted
white. Even then the buggers are so thin you don't know they are there
until you turn the light off and, shortly after, hear the whine in your ear.
Turn it back on and they vanish instantly.

They zero in on CO2, but I've also heard they like sweaty feet too. I doubt
if they would be enticed by either light or flypaper: on the contrary, they
hide till it gets dark. When you do try to swat them, come from behind or v
slowly from above, with something wet. Or, if you don't mind the noise, a
vacuum cleaner with the 'behind the sofa' attachment on is favourite. Get
them first time or you will be up all night.

The ones that sit with their back legs up and the body at an angle to the
surface are the malaria carrying ones, and, yes, we do have them in the UK.