Old 23-07-2010, 08:38 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cliff[_3_] Cliff[_3_] is offline

Default Question on trimming Live Oaks

On Jul 4, 5:46*am, "Bob-tx" wrote:
A couple years ago, I asked on here, "when is the right time to trim
Live Oaks to reduce exposure to Oak wilt". *The answer was in
January and February when it is cold. *Seems to me I have read that
since then as well.

We got a business promotion magazine this week, and an arborist had
an ad that said July is the time to trim Live Oaks.

Now I'm confused about what really is the best time.

Any pros or people in the know? *Sure would appreciate some guidance
on this.

Bob-tx

Best time is either the hottest and driest time or the coldest time.
Usually July/Aug and or Jan/Feb. When ever it is done it is still
required to paint every repeat every cut or wound. They the hack and
stack guys will tell you anything smaller than one inch or some such
don't need to be painted, ain't true. Check Plant Answers.com for a
complete Aggie response to all your home gardening questions.

Good Luck.
Not a Pro