Old 24-07-2010, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default overwinter abutilon

In message rTz2o.11923$FM1.7241@hurricane, stuart noble
writes
Having lost a couple of yellow abutilons last winter (the pink
survived),

I lost every one last winter, except for the cuttings on the
windowsills.

I'm thinking well ahead about frost protection for the replacements.
Alas, I have no room indoors, and no greenhouse, so my options are 1) a
shed with no windows or 2) bubble wrap outdoors in a sheltered location.

If I recall correctly, when Abutilons are sold as patio shrubs the
instructions tell you to prune them back and store them in a garage, so
a shed should be OK.

But in my experience in most winters they will come through in a
sheltered location.

My questions are, do they need light and moisture in winter, or are
they like pelargoniums which seem happy with neither? Also, if wrapped
outdoors, do you leave the top open or enclose the whole plant? I'm
never sure whether plants are more vulnerable above or below the soil
level.
Thanks for any advice

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley