Old 24-07-2010, 04:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
fran fran is offline

Default Tomato performance update so far this year..........

Heat and humidity are the watchwords around here - it's all we get in
the summer!

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 10:19:17 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Fran wrote:

Did you have a problem with heat and humidity? According to one site
that I looked at, wilt spores require that the leaf be damp for them to
germinate.

"The shelters keep tomato leaves dry - and spores of late blight must
land on wet leaves to infect the plant.", according to
http://www.sunset.com/garden/fruits-...lants-beat-bli
ght-00400000017182/

If you live where peaches are grown, you may still have time to grow
some 60 days to maturity (DM) tomatoes, like Stupice, Sweet Million,
Porter, Orange Giant, or even Old German (78 DM).

"Just picked and still warm" are the sweetest tomatoes.

Good luck

brand-new containers and fresh potting soil. I started the seeds in
the containers. So, no, prior contamination is not the issue. This
land used to be a peach orchard many years ago, could be something
left in the soil. Since there is a local farmers market, I'll just
get my tomatoes there.

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 21:03:14 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Fran wrote:

Wilt got all 4 of my plants this year - both the brandywine and the
rutgers. Since this is the 4th time I've tried tomatoes over the last
6 or 7 years, and the plants have all died of wilt, I'm not going to
try again. And, yes, I've tried both in-ground and containered.

And the soil in the container was fresh potting soil? I guess the next
step would be sterilizing the container (bleach solution), and all the
potting soil (heat). You would also want to change the supplier of the
starts. Then you should have a good idea as to whether you were screwing
up (and we all do from time to time;O) or whether it was really wilt,
because if you still got wilt, it would have to come from the supplier.
This can happen, even from seed.