Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
kush

Default Non Aquatic Plants

My local shop sells dracaena as an aquarium plant although, as Leigh points
out, it is not.

I once had one in one of my tanks and it did last for several months. Note
that if you prune leaves off as they (inevitably) start to decay, nothing
will grow back. They will contribute nothing to the overall health of your
tank and will eventually detract from it as the roots decay.

The description also sounds like Japanese Rush? I can't think of the Latin
off the top of my head.

kush

LeighMo wrote in message
A google search turned up Didiplis diandra as the
scientific name for the Water Hedge.

I don't think what he has is Didiplis diandra. Didiplis diandra is a stem
plant, that doesn't have "bulbous" roots. And it has fine, needle-like

leaves,
not lanceolate ones.

Alternanthera species are sometimes sold as "water hedge." Some of those

are
true aquatics. But I don't think they have "bulbous" roots, either.

I suspect what he has is Dracaena sanderiana, or a related species. It's

sold
under various common names: lucky bamboo, green dragon plant, ribbon

plant,
etc. Here's a photo:

http://horticulture.missouri.edu/tri...dracaena-s.htm

It's pretty, but as the photo suggests, it's not a true aquatic. I'm

afraid
there's nothing you can do to make it grow successfully underwater.
AquaticPlantDepot.com sells it as a terrarium plant.

Leigh