Old 24-07-2010, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default planting in paving

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 13:01:30 +0000, StellaH
wrote:

Trying to improve a fairly large area of paving which gets sun in
morning only,I am going to take up random paving slabs and plant low
growing plants instead, has anyone tried this and can you recommend
plants which will survive, under the existing paving is a lot of sand
and poor soil.

We have a flat-growing thyme growing in places between our paving
slabs, also set on sand with subsoil beneath. Does very well.
Aubretia may do OK, as might any Mediterranean plants that succeed on
poor dry soil, such as dianthus species ('pinks'), Erigeron
karvinskianus (aka Vittandinia, Mexican Daisy etc,) osteospermums,
pelargoniums (commonly and wrongly called geraniums), lavenders. Note
that not all are frost hardy.

And there's dry and dry - thyme is a LOT more drought resistant
than (say) aubretia.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.