Old 24-07-2010, 10:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening
Maris Maris is offline

Default This mosquito is good at hiding

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 23:18:22 +0100, "Spamlet"
wrote:

"Ian B" wrote in message

Indeed, the uk Natural History Museum (where I sent samples from our garden)
is part of the world wide project to find ways of eradicating the simuliids.
One of the dangers is that, near water, they do form swarms large enough to
cause cattle to stampede to try and escape them. In our garden they are
silent and almost invisible in the evening, and they have no trouble biting
through clothing, and leave lumps like new muscles that ache for several
days. They are supposed to rely on running water to breed, but our garden
is on a hillside half a mile from the nearest stream.

Only way to beat them is not to go out there at dusk.

I agree with you aboit the sandflies. I think I have them in my
garden. No bites all day but come dusk...