Old 24-07-2010, 10:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening
Maris Maris is offline

Default This mosquito is good at hiding

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 23:53:30 +0100, "Spamlet"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message

Yep, I'll second that: the only bedroom wall for me is smooth and painted
white. Even then the buggers are so thin you don't know they are there
until you turn the light off and, shortly after, hear the whine in your ear.
Turn it back on and they vanish instantly.

They zero in on CO2, but I've also heard they like sweaty feet too. I doubt
if they would be enticed by either light or flypaper: on the contrary, they
hide till it gets dark. When you do try to swat them, come from behind or v
slowly from above, with something wet. Or, if you don't mind the noise, a
vacuum cleaner with the 'behind the sofa' attachment on is favourite. Get
them first time or you will be up all night.

The ones that sit with their back legs up and the body at an angle to the
surface are the malaria carrying ones, and, yes, we do have them in the UK.

I've generally found them on the wall somewhere nearby. I don't think
they hide away anywhere. They do need a bit of looking for sometimes
though. It doesn't sound like mosquitos in this case, though, unless
there is the tell-tale whine.