Old 25-07-2010, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Donwill[_2_] Donwill[_2_] is offline

Default Ipomoea, no flowers.

On 24/07/2010 16:24, kay wrote:
'Donwill[_2_ Wrote:

;895255']
Have managed at last to upload a couple of pictures: there must be an
easier way than the way I'm doing it :'(
http://i31.tinypic.com/5k4t9i.jpg
http://i30.tinypic.com/qmyixg.jpg

They look fine. You're just being impatient! They're a
second-half-of-summer flower.

As Charlie says, April was far too early - they really like to be warm.
I wouldn't make a habit of letting them wilt ;-)

Mine have been flowering for a couple of weeks now - but my greenhouse
was a lot warmer than your conservatory/sun room will have been.

Yes, you're right, the flowers appear in the leaf axils. As you probably
know, each individual flower lasts less than a day - it will be fully
out when you get up, and fades sometime during the afternoon.

Thanks for that Kay, Yes I probably am too impatient.
The conservatory hasn't gone below approx 18deg C at night and I
usually open the vents when it goes above 25deg C in the day, on the
hottest days that we've had (28.5deg C), opening the bi fold doors holds
the temperature within a few degrees above ambient. With the vents
closed at night the temperature is approx 10 deg C above ambient.
I may start feeding with a tomato feed to see if that will help, the
compost may be a little high on N perhaps.
Don