Old 25-07-2010, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ian B[_2_] Ian B[_2_] is offline

Default Incredibly basic question!

"sharon" wrote in message
Hi

I'm moving into a new place next month and it's got a garden )

It's only a small lawn with a couple of borders, no more than 30 ft
square, but up till now I've only ever lived in flats so it's my first
garden...

Basically, what should I do with the border? I was thinking of planting
up some bulbs for next spring then putting some bedding plants in next
summer... but I don't want to dig up the bulbs after they flower if
they'll come back every year like daffodils. So should I plant the bulbs
in the back half of the border and put the bedding plants in the front?

Sorry I'm completely clueless

I am very much a n00b myself, but may I humbly suggest you take a look at
heucheras? They are available in a huge range of foliage colours and look
nice even when not flowering. In fact, the flowers are a bit naff, but the
foliage is beautiful.

Ian