Old 25-07-2010, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Hutson Alan Hutson is offline

Default Hover Flies v Yellow Sticky

"soup" wrote in message
On 24/07/2010 19:48, Alan Hutson wrote:

I have a a dozen or so specimen fuschias in a green house (Perhaps rather
more overcrowded than they should be) In terms of white fly I have a bit
but
I wouldn't call it a problem, I haven't thought of spraying. White fly
protection has been by the yellow sticky stuff

To keep down white fly in the greenhouse we have french Marigolds in pots
in the tomato trough, aparently the gas they give of repels white fly.
("Old timers" tip not mine)

What do you think? I'm also catching the odd bee which are now here in
abundance although very few until a week ago.

Bees are the planets saviour put up with them as they pollinate your
plants

Thanks , Just a couple of things..

French Marigolds and whitefly. Years ago I mentioned this to my father in
law- old timer 1898-1982 gardener at a country house as it didn't work for
me (Neither did tagetes) He told me it didn't work.

Bees I think you misunderstood my comments. I have apple trees, honeysuckle
in a tall hedge and a lot of lavender. I do my best to encourage them. I
even talk to them "You've just been there, what's the point of going back to
that flower, " I have four species around at the moment, red tail, white
tail,buff tail bumble bees an undentified variety but alas no honeybees.

Alan