Old 26-07-2010, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Norman Kaye Norman Kaye is offline

Default Garlic

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Norman Kaye" wrote:

About 25% of my garlic have a strange swelling on the stem just above soil
level that I have never seen before
It appears to be a cluster of individual cloves-about 6 in total.

This is called "side bolting." It's usually a reaction to stress, and
softneck garlics that don't usually produce scapes and topset bulblets
occasionally do it; I had a few this year (I'm just now harvesting garlic
in the Northeastern U.S.).
They're edible though small, and you could probably plant these little
bulbils, though it may take a couple of seasons to get to a full-sized
garlic bulb.

Hope this helps,

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic

Thanks Gary

Norman