Old 26-07-2010, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ian B[_2_] Ian B[_2_] is offline

Default Mixed threads

"Jake" wrote in message
On 26 Jul 2010 16:47:56 GMT, wrote:

Bob Hobden wrote:
One thread I noticed got mixed up was "Which is the best plant to be
grown
in the UK?" 20/07/2010 09.40.
It then starts to get replies to "Greenhouse questions" as replies.

Can anyone not using Windows see the mix-up?

Yes, it was cross-threaded:

1 [ 10] Which is the best plant to be grown in Harryg
2 [ 13] +- kay
3 [ 22] | +-Greenhouse questions Lordspudz
4 [ 20] | | +- kay
5 [ 26] | | | `- Kate Morgan
6 [ 42] | | +- Jake
7 [ 21] | | `- soup
8 [ 12] | | `- Lordspudz
9 [ 30] | `- Mike Lyle
10 [ 14] +- Stewart Robert
Hins
11 [ 23] | `- Dave Hill
12 [ 9] +- bobharvey
13 [ 14] | `- harry
14 [ 30] +- Bob Hobden
15 [ 14] +- sutartsorric
- 16 [ 19] `-Which is the best plant to be grown Jake

Which would imply it was either Lordspudz who (accidentally or not)
followed
up in one thread to a message in another thread and changed the subject
accordingly, or that gardenbanter (assuming he posted from there, but that
looks like a gardenbanter type username!) had a bit of a brainfart moment
and the threads were crossed by them. It's definitely crossed out in the
wilderness of usenet, not restricted to anyone's newsreader.

If the mess up occurred out in the internet, then Agent Newsreader is
more capable than I had realised as, for me, the two threads (Best
Plant ... and Greenhouse Questions) are properly separate and posts
are in a logical order in the right thread.

But I've also checked on Google Groups at

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.re...995bfaa9f2316#

for the Best Plant.... thread which seems fine to me, and

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.re...a87811a402b9c#

for the greenhouse one. Now interestingly, Google says Mike Lyle
changed the subject (and there's one message about best plant from
him) and then Soup changes it back again to greenhouse questions.

But as I say, my Agent newsreader has everything just as it should be
(my NNTP provider is Easynews).

Lordspuds is a GB poster but I cannot see any evidence that he has
been the cause, even inadvertently, of any mixup. He's innocent m'lud!

Ah well.

Back to the watering ....

From a look at the headers in question, Gardenbanter's server messed up the
references headers, so appending LordSpudz's reply to a message in "Which
Plant...?" It may well be that Forte Agent is not threading properly,
ignoring the headers and threading by subject lines instead, in which case
it ignored the mixup.

Ian