Old 27-07-2010, 07:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
sherwin dubren sherwin dubren is offline

Default Help! When are Apricots ripe?

On 7\/17/2010 9:44 PM, semi-ambivalent wrote:
For the first time since we planted it eight years ago our apricot
tree is fruiting. Here in Denver there are often late storms that
freeze out any blossoms, but not this year. We have fruit almost as
large as a tennis balls. When is it ready to pick? I've read that
commercial apricots are picked quite green and ripened off the tree
and this is why they are dry and mealy. Indeed, this is why I stopped
buying apricots decades ago. Ours are very juicy but still a bit hard.
The ones that fall on the ground are wonderful but mushy from
bruising.

Should I wait to let them get soft on the tree or pick the soft-ish
ones now and ripen them in a bag at room temperature? I don't know
what to do; we're going to have bushels and bushels...

sa

With peaches and apricots, I try and leave them on the tree as long
as possible to get their maximum sweetness and flavor. However, when
They start to feel soft, I pick them. For me, they should be soft
on most of the surface. Sometimes the fruit will ripen first on one
side that faces the sun. Of course, picking them a bit hard will give
you a longer shelf life, but store them in the frig, in any case. Fpr
canning, you also want them to be slightly firm.

I envy your apricot crop. My Moorpark kind of fizzled out this year,
but I should have a good number of Redhaven peaches.

Sherwin