Old 27-07-2010, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ornata Ornata is offline
Registered User

Default Use of tomato food

On 25 July, 07:28, harry wrote:
On 24 July, 18:51, JMS wrote:

I use Sutton's Tomato feed - (50gm pack to make up to 900 litres of
food by mixing with water - good *value).

I recently made too much up and used it to "water" some perpetual
spinach and also beet root.

However - I have noticed on some plants of both species that some
parts of some leaves are going brown.

Surely this cannot be because I actually fed them with the stuff-
perhaps I caught/wet the leaves *when I watered the food on - would
this explain?

Tomato food is low in nitrogen and high in pottassium. *The exact
opposite to what leafy plants need. * I wouldn't think it would cause
any damage though.

I noticed the same thing happening on some chard ("Bright Lights",
being grown in pots mainly as an ornamental hence the use of inorganic
fertiliser) that I watered with a (possibly too strong) dilute multi-
purpose plant food. Perhaps the beet family is particular sensitive
to fertiliser salts and overfeeding.