Old 27-07-2010, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default Anyone growing PawPaws?

sherwin dubren wrote:

I know of at least one person trying to grow them commercially, but
the main problem is their short shelf life measured in days. They may
still be edible after that, but the skin starts to look like an
over ripe banana. Most consumers are driven more by looks than taste.

I first read about paw paw trees from Lewis and Clark. The short shelf
life is why I didn't plant one in my back yard. I think the only really
workable approach would be to make preserves directly as soon as there
are harvestable fruits. Don't even bother selling the fresh fruit.