Old 28-07-2010, 01:38 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Joe[_12_] Joe[_12_] is offline

Default It's Hot!

~ jan wrote:

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 16:00:35 EDT, JB wrote:

It's been hitting the century mark here in central Arkansas with the
heat index several degrees above that. My 3,000 gallon pond had dropped
5 inches in the last wee.

What say you?

JB

Sounds about right. I add 5-12 minutes worth (on a timer) almost every day.
The plants really suck it up when it is hot, besides splash and
evaporation. We're looking at 3 day of triples, maybe more, but our
humidity is so low that it can be 100F and only feel like 90ish. Not that I
like 90ish, but I do appreciate dry over humid.

I checked my son's weather down in TX and with the heat index at one point
they were 117F today. Can you say OMG!? Cabin fever in July! ~ jan

A couple of years ago I bought a meter that attaches to my hose bib. Best
$50 I have spent, pond wise. In addition to knowing how much water I use (up
to 20 gallons/day in mid summer) it helps me learn of any leaks.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.