Old 28-07-2010, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Soil PH control

On 27 July, 20:39, Vegegrower
wrote:
What I've been told and as well reading all over the internet is that
vegetable plants grow best in soils of about PH6.5, slightly acidic.
Being slightly acidic allows the nutrients in the soil to feed up in to
the plant roots!

The PH of my soil was about PH9 when I measured it so I sprinkle sulphur
chips on it.

Why do you reckon that water at PH3 because of pine needles soaking in
it will not alter soil PH?

--
Vegegrower

You have hundreds of tons of topsoil in your garden. Why do you
think
sprinkling a couple of gallons of weak acid will make any difference?
It will react out instantly with the lime or chalk in your soil and
vanish utterly. Maybe a couple of milligrams of limestone will be
converted to CO2 and float away.
Your soil is slighly alkaline but good for every vegetable except
potatoes. It's specially good for brassicas. People spend a fortune
on lime to get soil like yours.
Of more importance is the soil structure. Now you can fix that. What
you need to set up is a compost heap. Nothing improves soil more
than
well rotted compost. Try to collect animal shit for your compost, this
rots down really fast. This also over the years will lower the pH.
I have huge native hedges. I cut once a year and shred all the twigs
& so have lots of compostable material.
The compost heap is the secret to good vegetable growing.

Good bit here about soils pH:
http://www.allotment.org.uk/fertilizer/garden-lime.php
http://www.allotment.org.uk/fertilizer/garden-lime.php