Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Barry

Default Substrate

I have a 29 gallon setup with standard gravel and UGF. My Java Fern is
incredibly lush and the Java Moss grows like nuts. Both were doing
great even without CO2 or PMDD (which I've recently setup to try and
revive a rotting Crypt).

My feeling is that gravel substrate is perfectly fine for the fern or
moss because they are not deep rooting plants, they will attach to the
gravel or whatever you have in the tank. My moss has attached to
gravel, sea shells, rock, and driftwood.

Good luck.

In article ,
Rich Conley wrote:

what do you guy sreccomend I use...its a 20H tank, and I really dont want to
use anything that I'll have too worry too much about clouding my water or
anything like that..... It'll have mostly java fern and java moss in
it...attached to some cork bark I have siliconed to the back....but I woul
like
some swords and crypts...and maybe some carpet type plants....How much light
do
you guys reccomend? and what for substrate..what for fertilizer..?

And actually...my workmate grows his prize bonsai trees in gravel...

Mr GTV wrote:

"Rich Conley" wrote in message
What is better for pllants? Sand or gravel?

Neither.
You wouldn't stick your prize roses in a bucket of sand nor a bucket of
gravel so why do teh same with aquatic plants?

Ideally you should use about 10-15cm of fertilizer / sand mix and hold the
lot down with 4cm of gravel, 2mm diameter.
Steve