Old 28-07-2010, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ian B[_2_] Ian B[_2_] is offline

Default teabags in compost

"Adam Funk" wrote in message
According to the latest issue of _Which?_, some of the main brands of
tea use polypropylene in the bags. The article says to "look out for
stitched bags with a tag (remove any staples before chucking them on
your compost heap)".

This explains why I sometimes find thinned down bags in the worm bin
output. Well, now I know to stop throwing them back in the top, which
is what I normally do with anything that isn't "fully digested" yet.

I don't see any reason to start removing staples, though --- I think
they rust away in the worm bin.

I started off putting my teabags in the compost- only to have to pick them
out again when it came to using it. I don't know whether it's all brands,
but PG Tips seem to be very resilient.

Ian