Old 28-07-2010, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Bell Michael Bell is offline

Default Alder cuttings

In message
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

In message , Michael
Bell writes
In my search for alders which will bear seeds which could be used as a
cereal crop, I have found trees which are steps on the way in other
directions, for example trees which have whole branches which carry no
leaves but lots of cones.

One hypothesis as to why a branch is carrying lots of cones but no
leaves is that the branch has died since the cones were produced. Such a
hypothesis would explain a failure of cuttings from such branches to
take. Have you excluded that hypothesis?

The same branch has produced a fresh crop of cones this year. So I
think it's a goer.

Michael Bell