Old 29-07-2010, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What a lousy year for veg!

In article , wrote:
wrote:
My courgette is a disaster, YET AGAIN. I have avoided mosaic virus,
but it has something that causes blossom end rot before it is big
enough to make even a nibble. I think that I shall give up, as
with potatoes :-(

Aww, that's a shame. Courgettes and potatoes seem to be the only things we
can't get wrong. (We always do too many potatoes, with a few of several
types rather than a lot of one - just dug up the firsts, as they were a bit
small the first time - probably due to late frost. All looking good so far,
but the red ones seem more slug-prone than the others. Will have to work
out what variety they are once I find The Book)

The ridiculous thing is that I can grow squashes - including Little
Gem, which is a Cucurbita pepo, just like courgettes. But every
time I grow courgettes outside, I get 2-3 and they they get mosaic
virus so badly they have to be destroyed. This was an attempt to
grow them inside, to avoid that.

With potatoes, it is spraing and both types of eelworm :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.