Old 29-07-2010, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What a lousy year for veg!

In article , wrote:

The ridiculous thing is that I can grow squashes - including Little
Gem, which is a Cucurbita pepo, just like courgettes. But every
time I grow courgettes outside, I get 2-3 and they they get mosaic
virus so badly they have to be destroyed. This was an attempt to
grow them inside, to avoid that.

I don't think I've ever ha mosaic virus. I've heard of it, but I'm not even
sure I'd recognise it if I saw it.

Patches of yellow all over the (distorted and small) new leaves,
and the fruit distorted and small, later not developing or rotting.
You can't miss it, when it gets out of hand.

What courgettes are you growing? My success has always come from green bush
type, although this year I have loads coming on the 'one ball' (yellow
spherical-ish fruit), and I have one organic Dundoo that is doing well,
although germination on everything but the bush and oneball was ... well,
mostly miss-and-miss, it seems.

Lots of different varieties, pretty well all green bush type, but
some claiming to be CMV-resistant. Well, I didn't notice ....

With potatoes, it is spraing and both types of eelworm :-(

Ah, now you can do something about that by going for the more resistant
ones! ...

Against all three of those? But, even for earlies, where spraing is
not really an issue, I am interested only in growing ones which are
better-flavoured than those we can buy. And none of those are
resistant ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.